Seamer Chapel Opening, 1858
The Scarborough Circuit
Seamer, The Scarborough Circuit,
Chapel Openings, 1858
Seamer is 4-miles South of Scarborough and had a population of 1200 people. Here, Primitive Methodists only had a house to worship in but long-desired land to build a chapel – a request granted by his Lordship of Seamer. On March 1st, 1858, Mr W. M. Boreman laid down the first foundation stone which rapidly erected into a chapel of Norman architecture with a 160 person capacity. This build cost £300, with friends and members raising £136 of the total. On the opening service of Sunday, June 6th, 1858, the preachers had to swap between performing service within the chapel and open-air preaching due to the sheer size of the assembly that attended.
J. T. Shepherd
The Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1858, p. 559