The 1880 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us they were in the course of building a new chapel in Hodgson Street. For years they had been meeting in a room in adjacent Edmund Street, but this became crowded – the Sunday school had 125 pupils and 16 teachers.
The new chapel would consist of a large hall for services and school work, and two vestries. It would cost around £1,000.
Part of Hodgson Street still exists, but the original terraced houses have been replaced by modern commercial buildings.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1880 page 636