The Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1899 comments that few areas had shown greater activity during the previous year or two than Stockton on Tees – including laying the foundation stones for a new chapel in Thornaby on Tees.
Thornaby is described as a corporate town where Primitive Methodism has not yet made a worthy enough position. The previous society never included more than 30-40 members and the previous chapel, poor to begin with, became very much in need of repair.
The new chapel would cost £3.000, part of which was carried by the Stockton circuit.
The 1915 Ordnance Survey map shows a large building marked Primitive Methodist chapel at the junction of Peel Street and Cromwell Terrace, in the North East corner of Victoria Park. On the 1955-76 map series, it has been replaced by a smaller building marked Mission Hall.
Google Street view shows what happened in the Twenty First Century. In 2009 it shows a smaller modern single storey building on the site carrying church notice boards, but disused. By 2016 that building has been removed and the site is used as a small garden.
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1899 page 798