Thornaby South Stockton Primitive Methodist chapel

New Street, South Stockton

We are told , albeit with a hesitation, about the March 1867 laying of the foundation stone for South Stockton  Primitive Methodist chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

“Memorial Stone Laying, South Stockton. —

This ceremony took place on Monday, the 18th March. The friends assembled in the Methodist Free chapel, and thence moved to the site in New Street, where the chapel is being erected. The ceremony was to have been performed by Alderman Byers, J. P., of Stockton ; but, in consequence of personal illness, his place was filled by his son. In making the presentation of Mr. Petty ‘s “History of the Connexion” to Mr. Byers, Mr. Saul referred to the great esteem in which Alderman Byers was held in that locality, for his integrity, liberality, and interest in religious and benevolent objects.

After laying the stone, Mr. Byers briefly addressed the spectators, and thanked the trustees for the complimentary volume, and for the high opinion expressed in reference to his venerated father. After tea, the meeting was ad dressed by the Revs. J. Nance (Wesleyan), S. Walker (New Connexion), W. Saul, J. Hallam, J. Welford, and Messrs. R. Wade. F. B. Bointon, and J. Adams ; William Whitwell, Esq., presiding. About 300 took tea. The proceeds of the day amounted to about £30, bringing up the receipts to above £100. It is estimated that the entire outlay will be £600.

The shape of the ground being somewhat irregular, has necessitated the adoption of an irregular design for the building ; but to compensate for this, several features have been brought into use, which will add considerably to the picturesque appearance of the building. In the interior the chapel will be 53 feet by 26 feet in width, with an octagonal eastern end, in which will be placed the pulpit and singers’ pew. The pews will be arranged in tiers one above another. In the centre, underground, will be placed an apparatus for heating, on a new plan. The roof will be of open timber, with a ventilator in the centre, beneath a campanile tower. At the eastern end will be a vestry ; and, behind, a chapel keeper’s house. The principal windows will be two light lancet ones, with trefoil head, filled in with cathedral glass. The roof will be slated with ornamental ridge tiles, and at the apex of the eastern end of the roof an ornamental iron finial.

In consequence of obstacles the chapel has been delayed ; but, circumstances wearing a brighter aspect, we hope to see it opened in June of the present year.”

The remnants of New Street still exist, although not as  the through road leading directly to the Town Hall that it once was. Ordnance Survey maps show a Mission Hall at the junction of New Street with John Street, but it is never marked as a Primitive Methodist chapel. It is now an industrial estate.

Was this chapel ever built?


Primitive Methodist magazine June 1867 page 368

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.