Thurlstone Primitive Methodist chapel

Manchester Road S36 9QS

Thurlstone Primitive Methodist Sunday School banner 'AD 1864' - the year before the church was opened.
Thurlstone Primitive Methodist chapel

The opening of Thurlstone Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1865.

A Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on Ordnance Survey maps on the north side of Manchester Road, immediately to the east of St Saviour’s church. It disappears between 1906 and 1931 – exactly the period when St Saviour’s appears.

This is the account:

“Opening of Thurlstone Chapel, Clayton West Circuit.—This neat and commodious structure, the foundation of which was laid last June by A. Ridal, Esq., has been opened for divine worship. Sermons were preached on November 27th, 1864, by the Rev. G. H. Beeley and Mr. Henry Lodge.

A tea meeting was held on Saturday, December 3rd, and afterwards a public meeting ; Mr. J. Castle, of Scholes, occupied the chair, and addresses were delivered by the Rev. C. Lace, of Sheffield, Mrs. Tinker, of Scholes, J. Robinson, G. H. Beeley, and others. The services were resumed on Sunday, December 4th, on which day the Rev. C. Lace preached morning and evening, and Mrs. Tinker in the afternoon, to large congregations ; the amount raised at the tea and sermons was £19 3s. Id.

The chapel is 33 feet long inside, 24 feet wide, and 15 feet from the floor to the wall-plate. The building is of stone, an ornament to the neighbourhood and a home for the society.

The entire cost is about £170, towards which we have raised about £110. Our friends at Thurlstone have done themselves great credit in the erection of this chapel ; they have done many pounds’ worth of labour, be sides giving of their substance. Our friend Joseph Coldwell kindly made us a present of the ground. J. Robinson.”

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine of 1865 page 367

Comments about this page

  • Thanks for the additional information Catherine.

    By Christopher Hill (21/08/2021)
  • The new Thurlstone & Millhouse Green Methodist Church was built in 1914 still on Manchester Road next to on the west side of number 241

    By Catherine France-Cockerell (20/08/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.