The 1869 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by J Rumfitt of the establishment of what it calls Melton Primitive Methodist chapel in the Pickering circuit. It didn’t tell us where Malton is – and thanks to Richard Jennings (see his comment below) it turns out to be Wrelton in North Yorkshire.
“New chapel, Pickering Circuit.—We have just concluded what has proved to be a very successful new chapel effort at Melton. Our people have preached at this place during a great number of years. A chapel was built by the late Mr. Hoggard, who received all its income and paid all its expenses, so that the society had no responsibility. After Mr. Hoggard’s decease the chapel was rented, but, being very small and inconvenient, a wish was felt and expressed for a new one that we might call our own.
The difficulty was to get a piece of suitable land ; at length that difficulty was met by one of our old members, Mr. G. Harlatid generously offering us a site in what is decidedly the beat situation in the village. Our way being thus opened, we set to work.
Preliminaries being arranged, we had the foundation stone laid by J. Windle, Esq., of Pickering, on Friday, December 11th, 1868. The weather was very unfavourable ; the rain descending in torrents during the ceremony. Still we had a good gathering of friends at the open air service, and also at the tea and public meeting after. The latter meeting was efficiently presided over by T. H. Clark-son, Esq.
The building was ready for use on Friday, April 2nd, 1869, when the opening sermon was preached in the afternoon by the Rev. J. Maylard, who discoursed to the delighted audience in his usual racy style. A public tea was provided at which nearly 200 persons attended. An enthusiastic meeting was held in the new chapel in the evening ; the chair was occupied by Mr. Clarkson in the place of Mr. Windle, whose health would not permit him to be present. Addresses were delivered by the Revs. D. Moore, J. Maylard, S. Brocksop, (Wesleyan) and J. Rumfitt. The opening services were continued during the three following Sundays, when large congregations were edified by the ministry of the Revs. J. Hobinson, of Helmsley, P. Milson, of Filey, and J. Nicholls, of Whitby.
The chapel is thirty-three feet long, twenty-two feet wide, and fifteen feet high. It will seat 120 persons (many more were in on the day of opening.) The building is quite an ornament to the village. Its style is not pretentious, but chaste and pretty. A very pleasing effect is produced by an appropriate intermixture of red and white bricks ; indeed the building is a credit to the skill of an amateur architect, Mr. T. Fletcher.
The chapel will cost about £150. We have raised the following—profits of two tea meetings, £12 15s. 6d. Public collections, £20 14s. 2d. A gift from the Sunday school, £10. Public subscriptions (including £5 from J. Windle, Esq.), £58 os. 8d. Total, £101 15s. 4d. Our expenditure would have been much more but for the kindness of the farmers, who have done all the hauling free of charge. To them and to all who have helped in this good and successful work, the trustees express their heartiest thanks.
A few souls have already been brought to Jesus in this new house of prayer ; and our prayer is, ” Let thy work appear unto thy servants, and thy glory unto their children. And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us : and establish thou the work of our hands upon us ; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.” J. Rumfjtt.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1869 page 491-492