Upleatham Primitive Methodist chapel
Upleatham, Redcar TS11 8AG
There’s an account of the opening of this chapel in the 1864 Primitive Methodist magazine.
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel marked on the 1894 Ordnance Survey map towards the eastern end of the village street, but it and the surrounding buildings has disappeared by the 1915 map.
It’s surprising how often the name of the Earl of Zetland comes up in these chapel openings.
Here is the account:
“Chapel Opening At Upleatham, in the Guisbro’ Station.—Here we have for several years held our services in the village school-room, kindly granted by the Earl of Zetland ; but we could only have the use of it when there was no service in the Established church, and when it was not wanted for any other purpose. Hence our preaching services were often interfered with, which greatly retarded our progress.
A few months ago we made application to the Earl of Zetland to lease us a piece of land on which to erect a chapel, which he kindly consented to do, at a halfpenny per yard per year, for ninety-nine years, and also gave us a donation of £10. We have also received donations from the following gentlemen and friends :—Joseph Pease, Esq., £20 ; John Pease, Esq., £5; H. Pease, Esq., MP., £2; — Milbank, Esq., £2; Captain Chaloner, £2; Mrs. Herrington, £2 ; the members of our society at Upleatham, £12.
The chapel is 30 feet by 24 outside, and is built of brick. The opening look place on Sunday, March 20th, when two very powerful sermons were preached afternoon and evening by the Rev. W. Lister, of Brompton, to overflowing congregations. On the following Monday, about 200 persons sat down to a tea gratuitously provided by the friends, after which a very interesting public meeting was held, at which Mr. G. Hall, of Marske, presided, and appropriate addresses were delivered by the Revs. W. Lister, D. W. Purdon, Independent ; G. Whitehead, J. E. Carmichael ; Messrs. J. M. Browne, and W. Waine.
The opening services were continued on Sunday, April 3rd, when the Rev. D. W. Purdon preached in the afternoon, and the writer in the evening. The proceeds of the tea and collections amounted to about £15.
The total amount received from all sources is £121 2s. 4d., while the total cost of the building is £188 15s. Id., which leaves a deficiency of £67 12s. 9d. We hereby tender our sincere thanks to the gentlemen and friends who have come forward so nobly to help us, and above all to God, without whose blessing our best efforts cannot succeed. G. Whitehead.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 page 500-501