Wakefield; Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel, Market Street
Market Street, WAKEFIELD, WF1 1DH
There are two references to the opening of a Primitive Methodist chapel in Wakefield in the early 1820s. The first reference is in the magazine of 1821. It reports the opening of a chapel on Sunday 22nd of October 1820 when the preacher was Joseph Brook, who reported the event in the magazine.
The second reference to the opening of a chapel in Wakefield, this time with a Sunday school, is in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1824. No date is given by the author, J Brown; it was probably 1823, given the time it took for information to be gathered and published at the time. It could even be the same chapel.
The forerunner of the chapel in the picture was opened in 1838 and was rebuilt in 1880. It held 200 people but closed in the 1960s. After closure it may have been a theatre and a health club. In 2005 a planning application was submitted for demolition and the erection of high rise flats.
The steps to the first floor doors have been removed since the photograph was taken. The Sunday School was at ground level. On Google Street View in September 2014 it looks semi derelict and in need of love and attention.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1821 page 120
Primitive Methodist magazine 1824 page 116.