Wawn (Wawne) Primitive Methodist chapel
Chapel Ln, Wawne HU7 5XX
The opening of Wawn (sic) Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded by R Hobson in the Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1860. Opening services took place from July 1st 1860. The new chapel seated 120 and cost £112 of which they had raised over £100.
The village had been missioned earlier by Bro Clappison and in time a site was rented from W. Q. B. Windham, Esq.. Preachers at the opening events included T Greenbury, J. Petty, J. Medicraft, H. Clark, Mr.Evans and H. Hodge.
In the list of East Yorkshire Dissenting chapels published by the East Yorkshire Local History Society Wawne chapel is recorded as in use in 1989. On Street View in 2010 it is no longer used, but the probable building is not visible from the road. We need a picture!
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1860 page 618
David and Susan Neave, 1990, East Riding chapels and meeting houses published by the East Yorkshire Local History Society