The 1882 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel has been laid at West Melton in the Hoyland circuit. Previously they had met in a cottage which had become far too small. The manager of the colliery and other gentlemen took part in the ceremonies.
The chapel would seat 300 and was likely to cost £710.
The 1892 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on Winterwell Road, opposite the junction with Princess Street. It is still there on Street View in 2011, surrounded by security fencing. In 2009 it still carried a sign for the Welcome Mission. Two years later, it has gone.
Does the building still exist? What is it used for now?
Primitive Methodist magazine 1882 page 637