Wetwang Primitive Methodist chapel

Station Hill Wetwang YO25 9XP

Wetwang Primitive Methodist chapel

In the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1871, T Newsome tells us about the opening of Wetwang Primitive Methodist chapel. Opening preachers included Revs C Kendall, G Watson, G Shaw and  R W Monkman.

The society pulled down their old chapel and built an enlarged one. Extra land was granted by Sir Tatton Sykes.

On the 1892 Ordnance Survey map a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on Station Hill,  almost opposite the end of Northfield Road. In 2011 there is a bungalow on the site.

Sue Goodwill, the Archivist for Ryedale Methodist Circuit, North Yorkshire which covers the old Malton, Pickering, Helmsley and Kirkbymoorside circuits, commends a book written by Chris Whitfield called “Wetwang, Weear Wad a Thowt It: stories from a High Wolds Village.”  It reports that  the Chapel was built in 1824 and enlarged in 1869-70. There is a section on Chapel stories and  has a photo of the inside of the Primitive Methodist chapel in 1911.  (ISBN: 978 09562 49579 publisher York Publishing Services Ltd. )

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1871 page 118

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *