Whitby; Church Street Primitive Methodist Chapel
3rd Chapel, built 1903, thanks to 'devoted women'
The first Primitive Methodist Chapel in Church Street was built in 1821, at a cost of £1,000. A Sunday School was added in 1835.
It was rebuilt and enlarged in 1841. In 1890 this Chapel was described as ‘a plain, barn-like building, with sitting accommodation for 650. In it is a neat marble tablet to Sarah Margaret, wife of John Buchannan Esq., who died in 1837.
A third Chapel, designed by Architect, W.G. Smithson in 1902, was built in 1903, presumably on the same site, at a cost of £4,150, and seated 500. The Church closed in 1968, and is now a Thai restaurant.
There is still a plaque inside the restaurant: ‘Sacred to the memory of the devoted women who toiled hard and long to obtain funds for the building of this Church’.
In the former gallery, which has now been made into an upper floor, and is used as a store room, there are some beautiful wall and ceiling paintings. They are very unusual to find in a Chapel, and may date from after it closed. Does anyone know the story of these paintings?