Whitgift Primitive Methodist chapel
Whitgift, GOOLE, DN14 8HL
Whitgift is a long linear village alongside the River Ouse. The first Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1834. It was followed in 1860 by the chapel in the photograph.
The 1851 Religious census in March 1851 which was completed by Jonathan Leaper the steward, shows that the average attendances were 50 in the mornings, 52 in the afternoons and 86 in the evenings. The Sunday School had 50 attendees in the mornings and 52 in the afternoon.
The second chapel was built following a revival in the village in 1858-59. The foundation stone was laid on August 23rd 1860 by J Pepper of Yokefleet on land provided by J Leaper. Preachers at the opening series of services included H.J. M’Culloch, Esq., of York and Revs G. Shaw, of Hull, J. Mules, of Brigg and E. Morton, of Goole.
The new chapel measured 37′ x 28′, seated 200 and cost £266, including a debt of £70 on the previous chapel.
On Google Street View in 2009 it appears as Whitgift chapel, although it is not clear whether it is still Methodist or even that it was still in use.
It is located at SE8212823007.
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1861 page 170