Whixley Primitive Methodist chapel
Whixley Primitive Methodist chapel in the Knaresborough circuit opened on December 2nd 1866. R Davies tells us about it in the Primitive Methodist magazine. They had wanted a chapel for many years but had been unable to find land to build it on.
The new chapel seated about 100 and they spent around £130 on it, of which they had raised a creditable £70. Donors and collectors included Mrs Atkinson, Mrs Ibbitson, Miss E Annikin and WE Upton. Farmers and others “lead the materials” and the ladies organised two fundraising tea meetings.
Opening preachers included JE Wood (Tockwith – Wesleyan), Mr & Mrs Wade (York), E Lumley (Scriven) and Revs T Newell and R Davies.
A Primitive Methodist chapel is shown at the southern end of Whixley, on Station Road. It was set back from the road (behind the current housing ine. The chapel name and building disappears from Ordnance Survey maps between 1910 and 1952.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1867 page 117-118