York; Burton Stone Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel
Borthwick Institute Archives (part of York University) has the following information about this chapel:
Ref. MR/Y/BSL: The chapel on Haughton Road, off Burton Stone Lane, York, began life as a Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1901. The chapel, which could accommodate up to 200 people, comprised one large chapel room and two classrooms.
It was initially part of the York First Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, renamed the Monkgate Circuit in 1903. Following the unification of the Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodist churches in 1932, it remained in use, becoming part of the new Monkgate Circuit of the Methodist Church of Great Britain from 1934.
In 1957 the Monkgate and Clifton Circuits amalgamated to form the new Clifton & Monkgate Circuit (also known as Trinity Circuit). This became York, North Circuit, from 1981, although Burton Stone Lane Chapel would appear to have closed by this date.
The records comprise a plan of proposed schoolroom and classrooms, [c.1901]; receipt from Primitive Methodist Chapel Aid Association for the deeds of the chapel, 1931.
The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies the building as brick built, seating 200 with 2 additional rooms. The building had been damaged by WW2 bombing.