York; Layerthorpe Methodist Chapel

Borthwick Institute Archives (part of York University) has the following information about this chapel:

Ref. MR/Y/PM: Layerthorpe Methodist Chapel was created as a Primitive Methodist mission chapel situated in Duke of York Street, York, giving the chapel its alternate name of the Duke of York Street Mission. In 1877 two houses with a large yard had been purchased in this street and the chapel was built in the yard and opened the following year. It could accommodate 190 people and was also used as a Sunday School.

By 1900 the chapel had a membership of 68. It was initially part of the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion until 1883 when the Circuit was split into two and Layerthorpe joined the new First Circuit, renamed York, Monkgate Circuit in 1903.

Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, Layerthorpe Chapel became part of the new York, Monkgate Circuit of the unified Methodist Connexion and joined the York, Clifton & Monkgate Circuit in 1957.

Layerthorpe Chapel was demolished in the early 1960s to create a new commercial area.

The records comprise the Register of baptisms, 1905-1954; register of marriages, 1920-1921, with related papers, 1919, 1957, 1960; records of Trustees, including minutes of meetings, 1896-1963, treasurer’s account books, 1877-1962; Society Steward’s account book, 1876-1906; collections journal, 1944-1954; property records, including feoffment of ground outside Layerthorpe Postern, 1822, mortgages and probate extract relating to Layerthorpe Trust, 1853-1936, correspondence concerning City Council’s development plan for Layerthorpe, 1952, correspondence concerning ownership of premises, 1959-1960, and correspondence concerning the demolition of the chapel, 1960-1961; Sunday School records, including school leaders’ meeting minute books, 1924-1955, annual report, 1938, treasurer’s account book, 1924-1956, and journal, 1957-1959; Missionary Society account book, 1954-1960; photograph of group in Mission Chapel, early 20th century.

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return describes the building as brick built with seating for 200 and no additional rooms. The building had been damaged by WW2 bombing.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.