York; Primitive Methodist chapel 1820

Grape Lane (?), York

The Primitive Methodist chapel in York was opened on Sunday 2nd of July 1820.  Preachers at the opening were John Verity, John Woolhouse and William Clowes.  John Woolhouse wrote about it in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

This chapel could have been the predecessor to Ebenezer chapel, opened in 1851 in Little Stonegate.


Primitive Methodist chapel 1821 page 94


Comments about this page

  • Borthwick Institute (part of York University):

    Ref. MR/Y/GL: Grape Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel, York. Documents from c.1829 to c.1851.

    This Chapel was actually built in 1781 for the Countess of Huntingdon’s Connexion, a small society founded by Selina, Countess of Huntingdon. It was sold in 1798 for a Wesleyan worship place but only briefly because in 1820 it was rented by the Primitive Methodist who purchased it outright in 1829. The PM Chapel closed in 1851, the increasing congregation having been asked to be transferred to the PM Chapel in Little Stonegate.

    By Raymond E.O.Ella (03/06/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.