The Primitive Methodist magazine 1880 tells us of the laying of the foundation stones of “a neat and commodious chapel” at Howdon on the banks of the Tyne. It was expected to cost £2,000, and the magazine editor was concerned this would be too great a burden for the society to cover the £1,300 which they did not have.
The 1916 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on the northern side of Norman Terrace, to the east of Cumberland Street It is still there on the 1947 map. In 2020 the site of the chapel is approximately under the toll booths for the Tyne tunnel
Primitive Methodist magazine 1880 page 701