Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by J. Lewis Williams
Tuesday, August 6th, 1912, witnessed the passing of Mr. D. Matthews, which took place at his residence in Fishponds. He became a member of the Church at the age of eleven years, and at eighteen years of age a local preacher, which office he held for fifty-seven years. During the last fourteen years his residence in Fishponds enabled him to serve all the Bristol Circuits, his ministrations being much appreciated. He was decidedly Arminian in doctrine, with a strong inclination to Puritanism in ethics and to Socialism in politics.
Since Whitsuntide this year his health and strength rapidly failed, and he felt he was nearing the River. During his illness he was sustained and comforted by the Word and Spirit of the Lord, and the constant attention given him by the Fishponds C.E. members. A widow, three sons, and three daughters mourn their loss.
The funeral was conducted by Rev. J. Lewis Williams in the Staple Hill Church, and the interment took place in the Downend cemetery. The memorial service was held in the Fishponds Church, the preacher being Rev. J. Wilkinson, of Eastville.
Daniel was born abt1837 at Pontypool, Monmouthshire. The 1841 census return records his mother as Ann Matthews.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Daniel.
- 1851 coal miner
- 1861 nailor
- 1871 nailor
- 1881 insurance superintendent
- 1891 superintendent insurance
- 1901 retired insurance agent
- 1911 retired arrogance superintendent
He married Charlotte Williams (abt1832-1892) in the spring of 1855 in the Merthyr Tydfil Registration District, Glamorgan. Census returns identify ten children.
- Ann (b abt1856)
- Jabez (1858-1935) – superintendent of assurance agents (1901)
- John Wesley (b1860)
- David Francis (b1860)
- Elizabeth (b1864)
- Albert Edward (b abt1866) – assistant superintendent Prudential Assurance Co. (1911)
- Alice (b abt1866) – married Robert Caswell, a collier, in 1895
- Daniel Edmund (1868-1960) – an assurance superintendent (1901)
- Priscilla (b1871)
- Charlotte Olive (1876-1963) – married David John Stephens, a coal miner, in 1898
He married Lydia Ponting Monks (1846-1925) on 26 July 1893 at Sy Mary, Fishponds, Gloucestershire. Daniel died on 6 August 1912 at Fishponds, Gloucestershire.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1912/918
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers