Shute, Joseph (1837-1911)
Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine
On Thursday, August 31st, at his residence, Lodden Bridge Farm, Gillingham, Dorset, Mr. Joseph Shute peacefully passed away. He was brought to the Lord at Buckhorn Weston when seventeen years of age, and remained a consistent and honourable member of the Motcombe Circuit for fifty-six years. During the last twenty-four years he resided in Gillingham, regularly attending the services, and supporting the cause, as well as assisting all the places on the Circuit.
During his eight weeks’ illness he was sustained and comforted by the Word and Spirit of the Lord until he fell asleep in Jesus. A widow, four sons and five daughters mourn the loss they have sustained, together with the whole of the Circuit. A very large number of friends attended the funeral, which took place on Monday, September 4th, in the Gillingham Cemetery, the services being conducted by the Revs. J. Turley and G. Stanyer. The memorial service which was held the following Sunday evening was numerously attended, being conducted by the minister Rev. J. Turley.
Joseph was born abt1837 at Buckhorn Weston, Dorset, to parents William and Sarah. He was baptised on 18 February 1837 at Buckhorn Weston.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Joseph.
- 1851 farm labourer
- 1861 dairyman
- 1871 farmer
- 1881 farmer (60 acres) employs 2 men
- 1891 farmer
- 1901 farmer and cheese merchant
- 1911 retired farmer
He married Lydia Hannam (abt1838-1924) in early 1860 at Buckhorn Weston, Dorset. Census returns identify nine of eleven children.
- Martha (Mattie) Priscilla (1860-1959) – married Edwin Hiscock, a farmer (1911), in 1881
- Eden Joseph (1863-1919) – a butter and cheese merchant (1911)
- Mary (1865-1939) – married Sidney Albert Hiscock, a farmer, in 1885
- Sarah Harriet (1867-1928) – married Hugh Bourne Arthur Charles Tucker, a farmer, in 1894
- James William (1868-1956) – a farmer
- John Henry Hannam (1873-1919) – a hotel manager (1911)
- Julia Anna (1875-1954) – married Alfred Clarke, a PM minister, in 1899
- Albert Daniel (1877-1956) – outfitter (1911)
- Lillian Lydia H (1880-1955) – married Henry James Allard, a dairy farmer (1939), in 1905
Joseph died on 31 August 1911 at Gillingham, Dorset.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1912/77
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers