Transcription of Obituary In the Christian Messenger
ROBERT FITT.— Wood Dalling, on Aylsham Circuit, has lost a valuable member in Robert Fitt. He was born at Wood Dalling, 1844, and in Wood Dalling he passed his whole life, except two years he spent in Sheffield, and two years at Leadgate, in Durham. It was while he was at Sheffield that he gave his heart to God, and after that he spent about twenty-five years in the Redeemer’s service. He was Superintendent of the Wood Dalling Sunday-school for ten years. He was Society Steward to the last. He died May 12th, 1905. He was a loyal Primitive Methodist, a humble and earnest Christian. His end was peace.
Family and other information
Robert was born in 1844 at Wood Dalling to parents Samuel and Sarah. Samuel was a farmer’s bailiff.
Robert earned his living as a bricklayer.
Robert married Ann Mary Howard (abt1849-1910) in early 1870 in the Alysham Registration District, Norfolk. Census returns identify five children.
- Agnes (1877-1956) – married William Riseborough, a domestic gardener, in 1904
- Harry George (1879-1918) – a bricklayer; died of wounds in France in WW1
- Arthur Edwin (abt1881-1963) – a farm labourer (1911)
- Florence Elizabeth (b1881) – married Tom Davies in 1899
- Miriam Lucy (b1887) – a general servant (1911)
Christian Messenger 1905/383
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers