Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine
There has just passed away from Dudley Church, Seaton Delaval Circuit, one of its sweetest spirits in the person of Mrs. George Bell. Born at Earsdon, in 1848, into a home where Jesus Christ was loved and His servants gladly welcomed, in such surroundings there is no wonder that our sister herself loved the House of God devotedly and found joy in the service of the sanctuary. In 1875 she married Mr. G. Bell, a local preacher of the Seaton Delaval Circuit, to whom for thirty-five years she has proved a true and worthy helpmeet. On her removal to Dudley Colliery she threw herself into the work of the Church with great zeal. Until weakness prevented, she regularly attended at the means of grace.
Hers was a gentle, peaceable, and sunny disposition, with a strain of quiet fun running through it. Not considerate of self she sought to live the unselfish life of Him who pleased not Himself. For some years her house has been the minister’s home in Dudley, and upon them as the servants of the Lord she loved she has lavished the rich generosity of her heart. Amid many marks of sorrow and regret, her remains were laid to rest in Earsdon Churchyard.
Jane was born in 1848 at Earsdon, Northumberland, to parents John, a blacksmith, and Elizabeth.
She married George Bell (1846-1930), a coal miner, in the summer of 1875 in the Tynemouth Registration District, Northumberland. Census returns identify three children.
- William (b1876) – a grocer’s apprentice (1891); a grocer (1911)
- Sarah (b1878)
- Elizabeth (b1881) – a school teacher (1911)
Jane died in the spring of 1910 at Dudley Colliery, Northumberland.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1911/157
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers