Beal, John (abt1852-1934)
Transcription of Magazine ‘Sketch’
Mr. John Beal, of Hull Seventh, has been associated with Hull Primitive Methodism for forty years. He has been twice delegate to District meeting and once to Conference. As a Church worker he is in full sympathy with young life, holds the Presidency of our Young People’s Institute, and was recently awarded a certificate of honour for thirty-five years’ service in Sunday School work. He served as a Guardian of the Poor for fifteen years, was two years Chairman of the Board, and is at present Vice-chairman of its Cottage Homes Committee. A man of good business ability, sterling character, and kindly disposition, no one is more worthy of the honour, or more equal to the demands of the office of Circuit Steward. Mrs Beal is even a more ardent Primitive Methodist than her husband. One son is in our ministry, two are local preachers, and another is an exhorter on our plan.
Family and other information
John was born abt 1852 at Patrington, Yorkshire, to parents John Scott Beal and Sarah. John, senior, was a joiner.
John was baptised on 4 February 1852 at Patrington, Yorkshire. Census returns provide the following occupation information about John.
- 1881 plumber
- 1891 plumber, glazier and gasfitter
- 1901 plumber, glazier and gasfitter
- 1911 master plumber, glazier and gasfitter
John married Maria Cawkill (1855-1910) in late 1875 at Hull, Yorkshire. Census returns identify seven children.
- John Herbert (1876-1892) – inmate of Hull Borough lunatic asylum in 1891
- Alfred Cawkill (1878-1955) – a plumber, glazier and gasfitter
- Luther Henry (1879-1949) – a plumber, glazier and gasfitter
- Frederick William (1880-1969) – a PM Minister
- Sydney Francis (1882-1957) – a plumber
- Margaret (abt1884-1891)
- Edward (b abt1890) – a clerk (1911)
John died on 2 December 1934 at Hull, Yorkshire.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1909/868
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers