Bailey, Joseph (1808-1882)
Joseph was a friend of Hugh Bourne from Ilkeston.
He was President of Conference in 1853 and became a Deed Poll member.
Joseph was born on 22 March 1808 at Ilkeston, Derbyshire, to parents Samuel and Sarah. He was baptised on 22 April 1808 at Ilkeston Independent Chapel.
Joseph was a lace manufacturer.
He married Sarah Shaw (1808-1885) on 10 April 1826 at Ilkeston, Derbyshire. Census returns identify eight children.
- Ezekiel James (1829-1899) – a lace manufacturer
- Elizabeth (b1831- – married Archibald Barr, a lace manufacturer, in 1854
- Michael Hugh (b1834) – a chemist’s assistant (1851); not identified after 1851
- Joseph (1839-1903) – a paint manufacturer (1891)
- Sarah Jane (1844-1929) – married Thomas Kent, a PM minister , in 1865
- Adeliza (1845-1905) – a dressmaker (1871); married William John Bryant, a sub-postmaster and provision dealer (1901), in 1877
- Emma (b1849) – a book keeper (1871); not identified after 1881
- Georgiana (b1856) – married Henry Dance, a clerk in money order office (1881), in 1877; not identified after 1881
Joseph died on 17 July 1882 at Lavender Hill, Surrey.
H B Kendall, Origin and History of the PM Church, vol 1, p276
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers