Bould, William Alfred (1839-1898)
Transcription of Obituary In the Christian Messenger
WILLIAM BOULD, of the Poplar Circuit, died November 25th, aged 59. He was converted when a scholar in our Chrisp-street School, and subsequently became a teacher and local preacher. Two days before he died, in answer to inquiries, he said, ‘Bless the Lord, all is well. My feet are on the rock, thank God.’ Bother Bould leaves behind him a sorrowing widow and five children, whom may God comfort.
Family and other information
William was born in 1839 at Bristol, Gloucestershire, to parents Jonathan and Marian. Jonathan was a carpenter.
Census returns identify the following occupations for William.
- 1871 carpenter
- 1881 commission agent
- 1891 insurance superintendent
His marriage certificate dated 1880 describes him as an evangelist.
William married Elizabeth Jane Wallis (1837-1879) on 28 October 1861 at St Nicholas, deptford. Census returns identify four children.
- John (b1864)
- Alice Maud (1866-1941) – a domestic servant (1891); married Alfred James Belbin, a plumber and decorator, in 1892
- William Alfred (1870-1960) – a life assurance inspector (1911)
- Albert Edward (b1873) – assurance superintendent (1911)
William married Mary Ann Watt (1857-1946) on 26 January 1880 at St Luke, Hackney. Census returns identify two of four children.
- Jessie Annie (1881-1940) – married Edward Robert Belbin, a paperhanger, in 1905
- Lizzie (b1882) – a dressmaker (1911)
William died on 25 November 1898.
Christian Messenger 1899/63
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers