Johnson, Clara (nee Dodd) (1830-1907)
Transcription of obituary in the Christian Messenger
This sister, who died March 20th, 1907, at the age of seventy-six, was our oldest member at Bradfield; she was a member upwards of sixty years. In the early days she vacated her room to provide a resting place for the Rev. E Bishop, and went without a new dress that she might help the funds of the first chapel. Mr G. Johnson, a Reading local preacher, who is now eighty-four years of age, remembers that when he and the late Mr. C Moss went to Bradfield to preach, more than fifty years ago, Clara Dodd (maiden name) brought their dinner to the chapel, thus saving them a long journey to her home. After marriage her consistent life won her young husband to Christ. She had six sons and three daughters, all of whom passed through our Sunday school, of which their father was the superintendent. The sons were so devoted to their mother that they bore her remains to their last home, and will, with their sisters and their children, cherish the memory of her bright and beautiful life and her wise and helpful words.
Family and other information
Clara was baptised on 21 November 1830 at Bradfield, Berkshire. Her parents were Moses Dodd and Mary Ann Johnson, who married on 27 January 1828 at Bradfield, Berkshire.
The 1851 census records Clara working as a house servant for Harvey Horlock, a schoolmaster, at 8 Rupett Terrace, Reading.
Clara married Charles Johnson (1834-1917) in early 1857 at Bradfield, Berkshire. Charles worked on the land, then became a carrier and by 1891 was a wood dealer. Census returns identify nine children.
- William George (1858-1929) – a wood sawyer (1911)
- Samuel Frank (1860-1943) – a music hall showman 91911)
- Mary Ann (b1861) – a dressmaker (1881)
- James (1863-1941) – a brick manufacturer (1911)
- Harry (1865-1945) – a fruiterer and greengrocer
- Caroline (abt1867-1947) – a dressmaker (1901); married Albert Ball, a labourer, in 1901
- Fanny (abt1870-1952) – married William Millson, a house painter, in 1896
- Arthur (1872-1943) – a cab driver (1911)
- Ernest (b1874) – a carpenter and builder (1911)
Clara died on 20 March 1907 at Bucklebury, Berkshire.
Christian Messenger 1907/285
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers