Kerridge, James (1830-1911)

Primitive Methodist Magazine 1911

Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by A.E.R.

It was with deep grief we heard of the death of Bro. James Kerridge, of Wisbech. His Association with this Circuit stretches over very many years. He was a most active and diligent worker, interested in every movement that had for its object the uplifting of his fellows and the extension of righteousness. School teacher, superintendent, Circuit steward, local preacher, he had more than a Circuit reputation. He had represented his Circuit many times at District Meeting, the first time being in 1862, and had also been a District representative to Conference. He had been secretary to the Wisbech Temperance Society for twenty years, and of the Juvenile Local Peace Association for fifteen years. He was also a member of the Bible Society and of the Free Church Council. 

He will ever be remembered as a strong debater, an earnest and vigorous preacher, a strong temperance advocate, an enthusiastic worker of the Peace Association. He was a wide reader, and was never afraid of expressing his convictions. 

An architect by profession, no fewer than five hundred chapels had been built by him. He became a member of the Institute of Civil Engineers in 1853 and a F.I.A.S. in 1905. He had been Surveyor to the Local Urban Authority for thirty years, and previously to that was a member of the Local Board of Health. 

For some time he had been in failing health, and the Quarterly Meeting had expressed by letter its sympathy with him in his illness. The end came very suddenly. His remains were laid to rest in the Leverington Road Cemetery on Friday, March 31st, amidst manifold tokens of respect. A great number followed, including many representatives of the Church and various Societies with which he had been connected. The service was conducted by the Rev. A.E. Rose and Rev. J. Youngs, vicar of Walsoken, an old friend of the deceased of many years standing.


James was born on 4 August 1830 at Bungay, Suffolk, to parents William, a farmer (1841), and Hannah. He was baptised on 28 July 1835 at Bungay Wesleyan Chapel.

Census returns identify the following occupations for James

  • 1851 tea dealer
  • 1861 house & land surveyor
  • 1871 architect, surveyor & PM local preacher
  • 1881 architect & surveyor
  • 1891 architect & surveyor
  • 1901 architect & surveyor

He married Mary Ann Frances Watford (1836-1857) on 23 July 1854 at St Clement Danes, Westminster, Middlesex. Census returns identify one child.

  • William (1855-1928) – emigrated to USA in 1880; a clergyman              

He married Mary Hill (1839-1914) in late 1858 at Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. Census returns and birth records identify thirteen children.

  • James (1860-1877)   
  • Mary Ann Frances (1861-1938) – married George Reckeby Emmitt Syddell, a builder (1891), in 1883
  • John Hill (1863-1865)
  • Richard Cobden (1866-1877)
  • Hannah Elizabeth (1868-1933) – a housekeeper (1911)
  • John Mason (1869-1878)
  • Francis (1871-1946) – a joiner (1911)
  • Ellen Maria (b1873) – a nursery governess (1911)
  • Catherine Eliza (1874-1958) – married Henry William Lincoln, a compositor (1911), in 1905
  • Florence Jane (1876-1957) – a school teacher (1901); married John Thomas Bales, a cycle agent & assistant inspector of weights and measures (1911), in 1901
  • Thomas Mallett (1878-1955) – an architect & surveyor (1911)
  • Gertrude Mabel (b1881)
  • Lucy Priscilla (1887-1945) – died in New York, USA

James died on 28 March 1911 at Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.


Primitive Methodist Magazine 1911/658

Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.