Precious, Sarah Ann (nee Rye) (1812-1898)
Transcription of Obituary In the Christian Messenger
SARAH PRECIOUS, who was connected with the Princes Field Church, Leeds, died Nov. 29th. She was born in East Anglia and converted when quite a girl. She was quiet and unobtrusive in her manner, loyal to her church, and highly respected by all who knew her. On her 83rd birthday all her class-mates had tea with her, and gave her a small token of their affection.
Family and other information
Sarah was born on 17 July 1812 at South Lopham, Norfolk, to parents Francis Rye and Martha Green. She was baptised on 12 August 1812.
She married James precious (abt1814-1856) on 13 October 1836 at Kenninghall, Norfolk. James was a shepherd – in 1852 he was tried for sheep stealing but found not guilty. Census returns identify seven children.
- William (b1838)
- Charles (1840-1922) – a shepherd
- Mary Elizabeth (1842-1906) – married Robert Dodd, a driller, in 1866
- Sarah Ann (1844-1919) – married John E. Booth, a warehouseman, in 1871
- Eliza (1846-1906) – a domestic cook
- James (1848-1912) – a carpenter
- George (1851-1918) – a bootmaker
Sarah died on 29 November 1898 at Leeds, Yorkshire.
Christian Messenger 1899/63
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers