Scott, Augustus Frederic (1854-1936)
Primitive Methodist and Architect
A.F. Scott was born in Rockland St Peter, Norfolk, the son of the Primitive Methodist minister, Jonathan Scott. Soon after training as an architect and surveyor, he settled in Norwich and lived there for most of his life. His two sons joined him in the business in 1912.
He designed Scott Memorial PM chapel in Norwich in 1902 in memory of his father as well as many other chapels. These included West Acre (1887), Lessingham (1891), Garboldisham (1893), East Runton (1897), Postwick (1901), Lenwade (1905), Runhall (1906), Stokesby (1907), Billingford (1908), Fakenham (1908), Attleborough (1913), and Castle Street, Cambridge (1914) Primitive Methodist chapels as well as Reepham (1891) and Cromer (1910) Wesleyan chapels. He also designed Cromer (1901), Dereham Road, Norwich (1904) and Wymondham (1909) Baptist churches. Lingwood PM Sunday school (1878) and Queen’s Road, Norwich PM Sunday school (1887) were of his design and so, too, were Wymondham Board School (1894), Ber Street, Norwich UM mission hall (1894-5), Botolph Street, Norwich clothing factory (1903), Bunting’s Department Store, Norwich (1911), Cromer cemetery chapel.
A man of extremely strong principles, he was a teetotaller, vegetarian on moral grounds and a strict Sabbatarian. He refused to pay that portion of his rates which funded Anglican schools and when bailiffs removed his paintings, he would buy them back again. He was an enthusiastic cyclist and as a local preacher travelled thousands of miles by bicycle and even cycled to London for business on several occasions. He maintained a Chinese missionary in Western China for many years at his own expense.
In 1920 a severe dispute between the minister at Scott Memorial Church, Percy Carden, and A.F. Scott resulted in Scott and his family permanently severing relations with the church.