Selby, John (1838-1898)
Transcription of Obituary In the Christian Messenger
JOHN SELBY.— The society at Leigh, in the Brinkworth circuit, has sustained a loss through the death of our Brother, in his 61st. year. He was the son of one of our early local preachers, and was connected with the Leigh society from his youth. He was a local preacher for twenty-four years, and was superintendent of the Sunday School. He took an active interest in all the society’s work. His last illness was long and painful but was borne with patience and resignation.
Family and other information
John was born in 1838 at Purton, Wiltshire, to parents Maurice and Mary Ann. Maurice worked the land.
Census returns identify the following occupations for John.
- 1851 agricultural labourer
- 1861 agricultural labourer
- 1871 agricultural labourer
- 1881 grocer & draper
- 1891 grocer and assistant overseer
John married Margaret Webb (abt 1845-1907) in the summer of 1863 in the Cricklade Registration District, Wiltshire. Census returns identify ten children.
- Abel Shadrack (1865-1923) – a grocer provision dealer (1911)
- Alice (1867-1932) – married Alfred Cordingley, a jeweller’s factor, in 1900
- Julia Ann (1869-1928) – married Robert Arthur Newman, a farmer, in 1890
- Florence Mary (1872-1949) – married Henry James Barnard, a commercial traveller (drapery), in 1902
- Henry Arthur (abt1875-1918) – a domestic coachmen (1901)
- Maurice James (1877-1956) – a motor driver (1918)
- Percival Charles (1880-1954) – grocer and coal merchant (1911)
- Ethelbert Clement (1882-1904) – a groom (1901)
- Simeon George (1884-1959) – a postman (1911)
- Eveline Winifred (1887-1920) – married Albert Ellison, a stoker (1911), in 1910
John died on 18 October 1898 at Leigh, Wiltshire.
Christian Messenger 1899/63
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers