Tucker, Gilbert (1838-1920)
Transcription of Magazine ‘Sketch’
Mr. Gilbert Tucker, Senior Steward of Loughborough Circuit for the past ten years, became a member at Swan Street nearly fifty-six years ago, and under Dr. S. Antliff’s guidance soon began to preach. After fifty-three years’ preaching he is as acceptable and energetic as ever. Quite recently he conducted services on ten Sundays out of thirteen. He holds the record for his home ministry, having preached over five hundred times to the Swan Street Congregation. He is in great request outside the Circuit for special services. He has performed all the duties of a minister, having baptised and married and buried members of our Church. He has also sat in seven Conferences. Mr’ Tucker has rendered distinguished public service as County Councillor; Town Councillor and Alderman; Guardian; and Vice-Chairman of the School Board; and has been invited to be Mayor. He is to-day Vice-Chairman of the Loughborough Education Committee.
Family and other information
Gilbert was born in 1838 at North Wingfield, nr Clay Cross, Derbyshire, to parents Gilbert and Hannah. Gilbert, senior, was a publican (1941) and later a brickmaker (1851). Gilbert was baptised on 1 April 1838 at North Wingfield.
Census returns give the following occupations for Gilbert.
- 1861 brickmaker (master) and PM local preacher
- 1871 brickmaker employing 11 men and 13 boys
- 1881 master brickmaker and farmer
- 1901 brick and terra cotta manufacturer
- 1911 brick and tile manufacturer
Gilbert married Eliza Trueman (abt1840-1886) in the summer of 1859 in the Basford Registration District, Nottinghamshire. Census returns identify eight children.
- William Trueman (1860-1925) – managing direct of brick and tile works (1911)
- Annie (1861-1942) – married Wallis Adcock, a schoolmaster, in 1893
- Lucy Emma (1863-1887)
- John Edward (b abt1866)
- Ellen (abt1867-1952) – married Edin Lant, an ironmonger, in 1893
- Arthur (1868-1936) – a brick manufacturer (1920)
- Florence Louisa (1871-1928) – married Frederick Riley, a schoolteacher, in 1894
- Alfred Gilbert (1874-1940)
Gilbert married Anne Jane Evans Boden (1855-1932) in late 1887 at Loughborough, Leicestershire. She was the daughter of Rev Charles Henry Boden. Census returns identify one child.
- Charles Henry Boden (1888-1933) – a tilemaker (1911)
Gilbert died on 11 February 1920 at Loughborough, Leicestershire.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1910/866
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers