Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by Anne Hawkins (her daughter)
Mrs. ANN TUFFIN, relict of the late Rev. Robert Tuffin, Primitive Methodist minister, was born in the year 1806, at the Park Farm, Herefordshire. Her father, Mr. Thomas Lanwarne, was a respectable farmer, but at the time of the birth of his daughter Ann, totally averse to anything spiritual. Being in a good position, he, in common with many other well-to-do farmers of that day, led a gay and utterly godless life, and it was not until about the year 1825 that he was awakened to his need of a Saviour, and was, with six of his family, converted to God, walking thenceforth in newness of life. The Rev. Thomas Proctor, of holy and blessed memory, was the instrument under God of their conversion. In spite of most determined opposition, numbers joined the society at that time, who have since gone to join the ‘church triumphant,’ that innumerable company in heaven that no man can number. Within the last few years, five of the brothers and sisters of the Lanwarne family have gone to join the blessed throng, and now all the six have been reunited in heaven, and have, doubtless, met with rapture the glorified spirits of many of the first ministers of the Connexion. These, whose souls burned with such a deathless zeal, were early laid to rest, reaching sooner the blissful shores of the ‘sorrowless land.’
Mrs. Tuffin was the second daughter, and as soon as she joined the Primitive Methodists, threw her whole soul into the noble work they were pursuing, and, with intense zeal, laboured for Christ. The ‘Primitives’ soon spread everywhere in that neighbourhood, until the Cwm Circuit was formed, and Mrs. Tuftin, with many more young people, thought it no hardship to walk ten or a dozen miles to attend a camp-meeting, dressed in the plain, quaint style then thought necessary by the Primitives as a distinguishing mark of their having set themselves apart from the world. But religion did not make Mrs. Tuffin gloomy; she was of a cheerful disposition, and was never more brightly cheerful than after her conversion. She had received a fair education at one of the best schools in Hereford, and her natural vivacity made her company much sought after. She was an honoured guest in the houses of several, noticeably in those of Mr. Petty, Mr. Grieves, and others.
In 1840 she was married to Mr. Tuffin, and became indeed a helpmeet to him. In those early days privations had to be endured by the ministers and their families; but she cheerfully submitted, suffering all for Christ’s sake, and receiving all as from a loving Father, who had promised never to forsake His people. In nearly all the circuits where her lot was cast, she led a class, and in most her class was large and flourishing. In prayer-meetings too, she generally exercised in prayer with a direct, powerful pleading that went to the hearts of saints and sinners alike.
In her home life she was a pattern of propriety and consistency, and being by nature kind and considerate, thought no sacrifice too great for the happiness of her family. In all her stations she is spoken of with affectionate respect as being one anxious to promote the kingdom of Christ, careful to avoid the very appearsace of evil, and specially devoted to the church of her choice, to which she was most loyal.
Rev. C.T. Harris, a very old friend, says of her:— ‘In all the circuits she was very useful, and her name and work for the Master and the good of souls will not soon be forgotten. Her cheerful disposition and general kindness made her the joy of her family and the cheerful helpmate of her late husband in his varied toils. She was a welcome visitor of the sick as long as her health and strength permitted. She has gone to her heavenly home to enjoy the glory of her Lord for ever.’
During the last four years of her life, she grew very feeble, and was almost entirely prevented from attending the means of grace, but whenever able she joined in scriptural exercises, herself frequently conducting family worship, and praying with a holy fervour that surprised those who listened, seeing how weak she was in body. This was more particularly noticed two or three nights before she died, when she was more intensely earnest than usual, feeling no doubt a premonition within of her speedy removal to that blessed state where prayer is lost in praise. She was not entirely confined to her bed until a few days of the last week of her life on earth. During that week she seemed to be sweetly loosened from earthly interests, expressing herself as having ‘done with them.’ Her departure was somewhat sudden, as she had not appeared weaker than usual, but on Sunday night, the 14th, she was restless, although she had been very bright during the day; but it was only the last gleam of the spirit’s light, and on Monday morning, the 15th, she sweetly fell asleep as a tired child reposes on its mother’s breast. She was interred in Hay Cemetery on May 19, 1882, after a consistent membership of fifty-six years.
May her devoted life and peaceful death induce others to follow Christ, and gain, with her, the heights of heavenly bliss, secure from the storms that ever and anon sweep over the troubled ocean of time.
Ann was born in 1806 at Park farm, Herefordshire, to father Thomas, a farmer.
Ann married Robert Tuffin (1808-1871) on 2 July 1840 at Peterchurch, Hereford, Herefordshire. Census returns and birth records identify six children.
- Mary (1841-1842)
- Ann (1843-1888) – married James Hawkins, a PM minister, in 1864
- Robert Lanwarne (1844-1914) – a hotel keeper & farmer (1911)
- Thomas (1846-1846)
- Elizabeth (b1849) – a governess (1881)
- Josiah (1851-1933) – an auditor, trade trustee and financial agent in Launceston, Tasmania (1899)
Ann died on 15 May 1882 at Hay, Breconshire.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1884/370
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers