Matthew was born in July 1839 at Whitehaven, Cumberland, to parents John Wilson, a sawyer (1851), and Ann Chisam.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Matthew.
- 1861 cabinet maker and local Methodist preacher
- 1871 PM minister
- 1881 Independent minister of Torcross Chapel, Stokenham, Devon
- 1891 china dealer at Crosscanonby, Cumberland
- 1901 sub-postmaster and grocer shop-keeper in Eskdale
- 1911 grocer dealer
He married Emily Strorey (abt1836-1913) in the summer of 1870 in the Alverstoke Registration District, Hampshire. Census returns identify one child.
- Emily Ann Lilly (1871-1955) – married William Martin, a postman & grocer’s assistant (1911), in 1894
Matthew died on 26 November 1914 at Boot, Cumberland.
- 1866 Malmesbury
- 1868 Chipping Norton
- 1869 Faringdon
- 1871 Stanstead
- 1872 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers