Allen, William Herwood (1849-1910)
William was born on 24 November 1849 at Bethnall Green, London, to parents William Herod Allen, a grocer, and Esther. He was baptised on 20 January 1850 at St Jude, Bethnall Green.
William married Matilda Ann Tompkins (1849-1932) in the summer of 1871 at Greenwich, London. Census returns identify seven children.
- Rose Annie (1872-1950) – a telegraph clerk (1901); married Frederick Charles Steggles, a P.O. telegraph overseer (1911), in 1901
- Max William (abt1874-1952) – a clerk to stock broker (1901)
- Mabel Mary (b1875)
- Stanley Newens (1880-1881)
- Maud Louisa (b1882)
- Stewart Herwood (b1884) – an insurance clerk (1911); initially in the RNAS in WW1, transferred to the RAF in 1918
- Norman Leslie (1888-1916) – emigrated to Canada in 1911; killed in WW1
On leaving the Primitive Methodist ministry, William became a Congregational minister.
William died on 21 February 1910 at the Manse, Great Chisnall, near Royston, Hertfordshire.
- 1868 Leighton Buzzard
- 1869 Dunstable
- 1871 London I
- 1873 London II
- 1875 London IX
- 1882 Woolwich
- 1883 Camden Town
- 1893 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Note: Leary gives the name as William Herwood Allen which is also on the probate record. Many records however have the name as William Herod Allen.