Andrew, Wallis (1836-1898)
Wallis was baptised on 31 December 1836 at Skeckling with Burstwick, Yorkshire. His parents were Richard, a blacksmith, and Mary.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Wallis.
- 1851 joiner’s apprentice
- 1861 PM Minister
- 1871 joiner & PM local preacher
- 1881 joiner & PM local preacher
- 1891 joiner & PM local preacher
Wallis clearly retained his work in the PM Connexion after leaving the ministry. The cause of his leaving the ministry was probably economic as he had got married and children were arriving.
He married Rebecca Gibbons (b abt1842) in the summer of 1864 in the Glanford Brigg Registration District, Lincolnshire. Census returns identify eleven of twelve children.
- Annie Louisa (b1865)
- Kate Mary (1866-1871)
- Rosa Gertrude (1868-1931) – a domestic servant (1891)
- Herbert Luther (1869-1944) – a bricklayer (1911)
- John Gibbons (1871-1949) – a dock labourer (1891)
- Lillie Hutchinson (abt1873-1930) – a domestic cook (1911); married Robert Thackray, a cab driver, in October 1911
- Harold Richard (1874-1940) – a joiner
- Egbert George (1876-1949) – an engine drive (steam wad roller) (1911)
- Joseph Dunn G (1878-1882)
- William Arthur (b abt1880)
- Wallis (1882-1946) – a joiner (1911)
- Stephen Edward (abt1885-1917) – a postman (1911); died in WW1
Wallis died in early 1898 at Goole, Yorkshire.
- 1860 Alford
- 1861 Market Rasen
- 1862 Epworth
- 1863 Filey
- 1864 Grimsby
- 1865 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers