Joseph was born at Tiverton, Cheshire, to parents John, a farmer, and Hannah. He was baptised on 23 January 1853 at Bunbury, Cheshire. His brother, Peter, was also a PM minister.
The 1871 census records Joseph as a draper’s apprentice.
After leaving the ministry, Joseph worked as an insurance superintendent.
He married Emma Maria Simpson (1859-1896) in late 1881 in the Nantwich Registration District, Cheshire. Census returns identify five children.
- Alfred Jospeh (1882-1944) – a draper (1911); a commercial traveller (1939)
- Eva Emma S (1884-1945) – a domestic housemaid (1911); married George Challinor in 1926
- Ada Hannah M (abt1886-1962) – married Percy T Darling in 1918
- Elsie Singleton (1887-1967) – married Herbert Howarth, a schoolmaster (1939), in 1915
- Edith Mary (1891-1972) – a dressmaker (1911); married Percy E Clarke in 1919; married Frank Challinor in 1941
Joseph died in the summer of 1925 at Chester, Cheshire.
- 1876 Macclesfield
- 1878 Plattsville (Canada)
- 1881 Southwark
- 1884 Whitchurch
- 1890 Nantwich
- 1892 Wrockwardinewood
- 1893 Silverdale
- 1897 Newcastle under Lyme
- 1903 Silverdale
- 1910 resigned
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers