Joseph was born ant 1819 at Thornton, nr Bradford, Yorkshire. I have not been able to identify his parents from online records.
The 1851 census records him as a widower and PM Minister at Thirsk. I have not been able to identify his wife from online records.
He married Mary Stott (b1829) in the summer of 1853 at Thirsk, Yorkshire. Census returns and birth records identify six children.
- Cornelius Nelson (1854-1859)
- Emily Harrison (b1855) – married Charles Butler, a cotton warp twister (1881), in 1874
- Louisa Jennings (b1857) – a worsted weaver (1881); married Ellis Wood, a wool carder overlooker, in 1891
- Sabina Rose (1860-1934) – a dressmaker (1881); married Stanley Firth in 1882; married Arthur james Parsons, a plumber, in 1900
- Louvinia Janehetta Stott (b1863) – not found in census returns
- Apelles Nelson (1870-1923) – an estate agent (1911)
After leaving the ministry Joseph worked as a grocer and stone dresser (1871). His eldest daughter’s marriage certificate describes him as a retired Wesleyan minister.
Joseph died in early 1878 at Thornton, Yorkshire.
- 1848 Pickering
- 1849 Middleham
- 1850 Thirsk
- 1851 Huddersfield
- 1853 Thirsk
- 1855 Otley
- 1857 Silsden
- 1859 Dewsbury
- 1861 Clayton West
- 1863 Pontefract
- 1864 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers