Jesse was born in 1841 at Ripley, Derbyshire, to parents Robert, a coal miner, and hannah.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Jesse.
- 1861 brakeman in coal mine
- 1871 solicitor’s clerk
- 1881 Independent minister at Launceston, Cornwall
- 1891 Congregational minister
- 1901 Congregational minister
He married Elizabeth Cooper (1843-1912) in the spring of 1862 at Beetwell PM chapel, Chesterfield, Derbyshire. Census returns identify six of eight children.
- Mary Ann (b1862)
- Emily (b1864) – married William Lloyd Summers, a teacher of classics and mathematics, in 1890
- Elizabeth Hannah (abt1867-1915)
- Amelia (1870-1953) – married William Thomas Plevin, a clerk at brickworks (1911), in 1897
- Charles Henry (1876-1923) – a photographic operator (1911)
- Frederic Jesse (1878-1935) – an accountant’s clerk (1911)
Jesse died on 27 June 1908 at Southport, Lancashire.
- 1861 Chesterfield
- 1862 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers