Elam was baptised on 4 May 1834 at Scotter, Lincolnshire. His mother Esther Barley married Thomas Andrew in 1839. The 1841 census shows Elam living with his grandparents Richard barley, who worked the land, and Mary.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Elam after he left the PM ministry.
- 1861 colporteur
- 1871 Wesleyan Reform Minister
- 1881 Wesleyan Reform Minister
- 1891 life assurance agent
- 1901 insurance agent
He married Elizabeth Pearson (abt1835-1907) in the spring of 1861 at Bedford, Bedfordshire. Census returns identify four children.
- Alfred Herbert (abt1862-1917) – a dress and clothing manufacturing clerk (1911)
- Walter Ernest (b1863) – a Stuff grocer’s manager (1911)
- Arthur Cobden (1865-1917) – a grocer (1911)
- Edna Persis (1868-1939) – married Samuel Oldfield, a retired insurance manager (1911), in 1898
Elam died 14 September 1910 at Belton, Lincolnshire.
- 1857 Baldock
- 1858 Chelmsford
- 1859 Hammersmith
- 1860 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Note: most records are in the name Barley, with a few in the name Bailey.