Joseph was born on 9 December 1837 at Kings Lynn, Norfolk, to parents William, a tea dealer, and Hannah.
He married Margaret Neilson (1851-1936) in Scotland. She had a daughter Florence from a previous relationship. Census returns identify four children.
- Henry (Harry) Douglas (b1885) – a leather salesman (1911); a commercial traveller (1936)
- Margaret Neilson (1887-1965) – a teacher (1911)
- Janet Neilson (1889-1979) – a teacher
- Ivy Mary (b1892)
Joseph died on 20 January 1904 at Northampton.
- 1861 Chelmsford
- 1862 disappears
- Congregational Weston-super-Mare Academy
- 1865-6 London Missionary Society – Berbice
- 1882-4 Corwen
- 1884-1903 Northampton, Castle Hill
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers