Moses was born in 1827 at Kidsgrove, Staffordshire, to parents Charles, a collier, and Ellen. He was baptised on 9 December 1827 at St James, Newchapel, Staffordshire.
Before entering the ministry Moses worked as a coal miner.
He married Mary Ann Clarke (1833-1926) in the summer of 1860 at Sheffield, Yorkshire. Census returns identify seven children.
- Ellen Antoinette (1861-1946)
- Charles Samuel (1863-1897) – a draper’s cashier (1881); died at Parkes, New South Wales
- Edmund Albert (1864-1938) – a bank manager (1907)
- Sarah Elizabeth (1866-1951) – a housekeeper (1911)
- Miriam Maud (1867-1961) – a milliner (1939)
- John Alexander (b1868) – a clerk (1891); emigrated to Australia
- William Henry (1870-1952) – a bank clerk (1901); a bank manager (1911)
Moses died 8 August 1907 at Arnside, Westmorland.
- 1852 Isle of Wight
- 1853 Newtown & Welshpool
- 1855 Donaghmore & Portadown
- 1856 Andover
- 1857 to Methodist New Connexion
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers