Cheeseman, Robinson (1823-1888)
Robinson was born on 19 November 1823 at Tetney, Lincolnshire. He was converted at the age of 12 as a Sunday School scholar.
Robinson became a local preacher at the age of 14. Two years later he was a hired local preacher and entered the ministry at the age of 18.
Robinson was Secretary of Conference in 1875.
In 1879 he became Secretary of the General Committee, a post that he had to resign from due to ill health in 1883. His contribution in that role was duly recognised in an appreciative minute in the 1883 conference proceedings.
Robinson married Harriett Hudson (1827-1867) in 1850 at Hull. Census returns identify eight children.
- Henry Jordan (1851-1940) – an Anglican clergyman
- Hannah Maria (1853-1939) – married Augustus Frederick Elliston, a chemist
- George Edward (1854-1916) – a Congregational Minister
- James Alfred (1859-1928) – a PM Minister until 1907 when he became a Roman Catholic.
- Thomas William (1860-1924) – a Congregational Minister; emigrated to USA circa 1896
- Alice Ann (b1862)
- Arthur John (b1863)
- Mary Ellen (b1867)
Robinson married Mary Thompson (1819-1897) in 1868 at York.
Robinson died on 17 November 1888 at Scarborough, Yorkshire.
- 1842 Louth
- 1843 Gainsborough
- 1844 Scotter
- 1845 Doncaster
- 1847 Retford
- 1849 Pocklington
- 1851 Swinefleet
- 1853 Doncaster
- 1856 Epworth
- 1859 Winterton
- 1861 Louth
- 1864 Pocklington
- 1867 Scarborough
- 1870 Doncaster
- 1872 Hull ll
- 1876 Filey
- 1879 Sec of General Committee
- 1883 Scarborough (Sup)
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1867/301 (Harriett); 1870 (portrait)
PM Minutes 1889/5
H B Kendall, Origin and History of the PM Church, vol 2, p404
W Leary,Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers