John was born in 1853 at Burton on Trent, Staffordshire, to parents John Dickenson, a PM minister, and Elizabeth Elverson.
Census returns identify the following occupations for John.
- 1871 clerk
- 1881 PM minister
- 1891 insurance clerk and local preacher
- 1901 secretary of insurance company
- 1911 life insurance clerk or branch secretary
He married Mary Ann Soar (1857-1937) in the summer of 1879 at Sheffield, Yorkshire. Census returns identify three children.
- John Henry Soar (1882-1934) – a metallurgical expert (1911)
- Joseph Arthur (b1884) – a life assurance agent (1911)
- Ernest Laurence (1888-1947) – an analytical chemist (1911); a steel manufacturer (1937)
John died on 28 November 1926 at Claremont Nursing Home, Sheffield, Yorkshire.
- 1875 Loughborough
- 1876 Chesterfield
- 1878 Leicester
- 1880 Ilkeston
- 1885 Rugby
- 1888 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers