Jeremiah was born in 1843 at Barton upon Humber, Lincolnshire, to parents Jeremiah Dodsworth, a PM minister, and Clara Chaffer. He was baptised on 22 September 1844 at Barton upon Humber.
The 1861 census records Jeremiah as a draper’s apprentice.
He married Ann Driver (1849-1893) in the summer of 1868 in the Malton Registration District, Yorkshire. Census returns identify five children.
- Clara Hannah (1869-1877)
- John Driver (1870-1940) – a packer of petrol engines (1911)
- Florence Chafer (abt1873-1925) – married Arthur Ernest Pope in 1896; emigrated to Australia
- Gertrude Annie (1879-1909)
- Reginald Bertram (1881-1950) – a salesman in warehouse (1901); emigrated to Australia in 1909
He married Emily Florence Hardwidge, nee Riggall (1854-1946) on 3 December 1904 at St Luke, Westbourne Park, Westminster, London.
Jeremiah died on 26 September 1916 at Worthing, Sussex.
- 1863 Keighley
- 1864 Wakefield
- 1866 Leeds II
- 1868 Pateley Bridge
- 1869 Leeds I
- 1872 Bingley
- 1875 transfer to Wesleyan Methodist ministry
WM Minutes 1917/150
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers