John was baptised on 28 November 1828 at St. Hilda, South Shields, Co. Durham. His parents were Thomas and Elizabeth.
Census returns identify the following occupations for John.
- 1861 PM minister
- 1871 United Methodist Free Church minister
- 1881 New Church minister
- 1891 Swedenborgian minister
- 1901 Swedenborgian minister
He married Mary Proctor (abt1836-1910) in the spring of 1859 at Carlisle, Cumberland. Census returns identify four children.
- Elizabeth Reed (1861-1941) – married Charles Madeley, a glass & china dealer (1891), in 1885
- Mary Alice (1864-1941) – an apartment house keeper (1911)
- Beatrice Ada A (abt1868-1907) – a nurse
- John Henry (b1873)
John died in early 1910 at Skipton, Yorkshire.
- 1853 Whitby
- 1854 Alston
- 1856 Carlisle
- 1858 Durham
- 1860 Newcastle
- 1862 disappears
- 1879-1880 Kirby Stephen – Congregational
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Surman Index id8222
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers