Edwards, George (1848-1919)
George was born circa 1848 at Stowmarket, Suffolk. He lost his parents when young.
George decided for Christ when eighteen years old. He spent a year at the Sunderland Theological Institute before entering circuit ministry.
As a preacher George was thoughtful and practical. He belonged to the Evangelical School and loved to declare to others the Gospel that saved himself. It is recorded that there was a significant revival during his ministry at Thetford.
George superintended the building of chapels at Barnham (Thetford), Sparkhill (Birmingham) and Kings Hill (Darlaston). It is estimated that he raised some £30,000 for Trust purposes.
In the West Midland District, George served two terms as Building Committee Secretary.
George married Emily Fisher (1852-1942) in the summer of 1874 at Stowmarket, Suffolk. Census returns identify seven of nine children.
- Frederick Huble (1877-1946) – a PM Minister
- Herbert Cooper (b1881) – an engineers clerk (1911)
- Gertrude Hannah (b1882)
- Frank Roper (1883-1972) – a commercial traveller manufactured confectionary (1911)
- Wilfred Leach (1887-1960) – a commercial traveller manufactured confectionary (1911)
- Eveline Bessie (b1890) – a tailoress (1911)
- Percival Harold (1894-1978) – an ironmonger’s assistant (1911)
George died on 20 March 1919 at Doncaster, Yorkshire.
- 1870 Torquay & Teignmouth
- 1871 Plymouth
- 1873 Falmouth
- 1874 Paisley
- 1877 Gloucester
- 1878 Lynn
- 1881 Thetford
- 1885 Wakefield
- 1888 Peterborough II
- 1891 Melton Mowbray
- 1894 Presteign
- 1895 Birmingham V
- 1898 E Dereham
- 1901 Doncaster II
- 1903 Manchester V
- 1906 Darlaston
- 1909 Wakefield
- 1912 Doncaster (S)
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1907/591
PM Minutes 1919/256
W Leary , Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers