Ellis, Lowther Ellerby (1839-1916)
Lowther was born on 10 December 1839 at Leeds, Yorkshire. His father James was a shoemaker.
The family moved to Pickering when Lowther was young. He was converted aged 16 under a sermon preached by Rev Richard Tanfield. He soon became a Sunday School Teacher, missionary collector and then a local preacher.
Lowther worked as a tailor’s assistant before becoming a minister.
The qualities of his ministry were solid rather than showy. He was essentially a circuit minister; plodding, conscientious, meeting difficulties with a cheerful spirit that was certain of victory, giving the wealth of his brain and the emotions of his heart to his own people.
Early in his ministry, Lowther published a small volume of poetry.
Lowther married Emma Glover Wilson (1842-1879) in the summer of 1867 at Sheffield, Yorkshire. Census returns identify four children.
- Alice Wilson (1868) – a nurse; married Ernest Warburton, a PM Minister; emigrated to New Zealand
- William Lowther (1870-1943) – a tailor and clothier dealer (1911)
- Charlotte Ann (b1871) – married Arthur Varney, a schoolteacher; emigrated to New Zealand
- John Edmund (b1873) – a clerk (1911)
Lowther married Emma Key (1849-1938). Census returns identify one child.
- Erle Rawson (1881-1971) – a clock and watchmaker; later an insurance agent (1911)
Lowther died on 21 October 1916 at Alfreton, Derbyshire.
- 1862 Burnley
- 1864 Barnsley
- 1867 Shipley
- 1869 Otley
- 1871 Halifax
- 1873 Pickering
- 1874 Rossendale
- 1876 Pateley Bridge
- 1879 Batley
- 1882 Heckmondwike
- 1884 Leeds VIII
- 1885 Barnsley
- 1888 Belper
- 1892 Pocklington
- 1894 Howden
- 1898 Winster
- 1903 Hoyland (Sup)
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1897/883
PM Minutes 1917/253
W Leary , Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers