Fletcher, Thomas (1828-1890)
Thomas was born in 1828 at Hulland Ward, Derbyshire.
He was converted aged 18. At once, he wished to do something for the Master and travelled to the town of Wirksworth, and alone in the Market Place, he made his first attempts at public speaking.
Thomas became a hired local preacher in the Belper circuit when he was 20 years old.
His obituary records that at his funeral, friends gave testimony to his sterling character, holy zeal and genuine worth.
Thomas married Emily Cussons (1835-1910) on 28 April 1859 at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Horncastle. Census returns identify nine children.
- Sarah Elizabeth (b1860)
- Emily Annie (1862-1930) – married George Gilbert Bett, a dairy farmer
- Frances Lucilla (1865-1956) – an evangelist (1911)
- Ebenezer James (1868-1959) – a shoeing smith
- Edwin Arthur (1869-1948) – an assurance agent
- Florence Edith (1871-1962) – married Frederic Reynoldson Crowder, a manager for wire manufacturers (1911)
- Samuel Thomas (b1873)
- Percy Wallis (1876-1937) – a storekeeper
- Pattie Laura (1879-1958) – married Herbert Seneschall, an assurance agent
Thomas died on 5 October 1890 at Market Rasen, Lincolnshire
- 1852 Borrowash
- 1853 Horncastle
- 1855 Lincoln
- 1857 Ilkeston
- 1859 Belper
- 1860 Wirksworth
- 1861 Wellow
- 1862 Sheffield V
- 1864 Nottingham l
- 1866 Leicester l
- 1868 Winster
- 1870 Horncastle
- 1873 Donington
- 1877 Derby ll
- 1879 Ripley
- 1880 Alfreton
- 1883 Newtown
- 1884 Horncastle
- 1888 Market Rasen
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1880 (portrait); 1911/158 (wife)
PM Minutes 1891/9
W Leary , Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers