Eleazer was born on 12 December 1825 at Stanhope, Co. Durham, to parents John Garner, a PM minister, and Mary Kemp. He was baptised on 27 December 1825 at Stanhope. There is also a record of a further baptism on 13 April 1828 at Redruth, Cornwall.
He married Mary Horseley, nee Nicholson (abt1791-1878) on 10 October 1848 at Hull, Yorkshire.
The 1851 census records Eleazer as a chemist and druggist at Selby, Yorkshire. The 1841 census return had identified him as a druggist’s apprentice in Manchester.
He married Ruth Mitchell (1838-1901) on 25 February 1878 at York, Ontario, Canada. Census returns identify six children. They clearly lived together as man and wife before their official marriage and emigrated in 1862 shortly after the birth of their first child, who does not appear on census returns. Eleazer became a Presbyterian minister in Canada and the USA.
- Aubrey deVere (1863-1943) – a bank cashier (1900)
- Mary (abt1865-1913) – a school teacher (1910)
- Agnes (b abt1866)
- Anne (1866-1948) – married Frederick Barker, a cannery superintendent (1900)
- John W. Garner (1872-1947) – a bank cashier (1910)
- Ruth Elizabeth (b1875)
Eleazer died in 1898 in Clatsop County, Oregon, USA.
- 1846 Bedford
- 1847 Howden
- 1849 disappears
- 1856-9 Denholme, Yorkshire – Congregational minister
- 1859-62 Stainland, Yorkshire
- emigrated to USA
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Surman Index id: 10001
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers