Samuel was born abt1844 at Murton, Glamorgan, to parents Thomas, a labourer, and Jane.
Before entering the ministry Samuel worked as labourer (1861).
He married Emma Smith (1850-1927) in the spring of 1870 at Bath, Somerset. Census returns identify five children.
- Percy (b1871)
- Ethel Mildred (abt1877-1960)
- Wilfred Bright (1880-1947) – a journalist (1911)
- Gerald Gilmore (abt1887-1963) – a farmer
- Gwladys Irene Kathleen (abt1890-1962)
Samuel, Emma, Ethel, Gerald and Gwladys travelled to Wellington, New Zealand, departing on 1 June 1905 from London on the Ionic.
Samuel died on 25 January 1920 at Waipu, Northland, New Zealand.
- 1866 Aberdare
- 1868 Bath
- 1869 Hereford
- 1870 Pontypool
- 1871 Newport
- 1874 St Isabel
- 1876 Leominster
- 1877 Leeds III
- 1879 Bradford II
- 1881 Belfast
- 1883 Fleetwood
- 1885 Clifton Park, Belfast – Congregational minister
- 1889 Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
- 1896-1905 Lister Hills, Yorkshire
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Surman Index id: 11003
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers